Tuesday, February 12, 2008

01/27/08

Days like today remind me of what a Camelot existence I lead. I woke up to baby feet in my face and a request, "Beakfast?" which was followed by toast making and jam spreading. Munch got up and he and The Baby played in the fort they made yesterday while Munch peppered me with 'Favorite' questions, his new 'thing' (What's your favorite thing to do? What's your favorite band? What's your favorite song?) and the discussion that snaked around these questions filled the house. The Baby threw a 2-yr-old tantrum at having to get dressed and screamed from house to car, but was then content on our drive to church.

We had the coolest sunday school class; we're studying the reformation through paintings for the age of enlightenment, and there was an art history prof who came from the university and explained the absolute coolest shit about these paintings...how just looking at the moulding on the walls could place your perspective on the painting to show that, were you in the scene, you would have to be *kneeling* to see what you are seeing, etc. Also that the way the people were holding their body formed the shape of a proscenium, which contained the most important message, which those outside of this physical arch were the secondary characters...Very cool.

Then service was hilarious...zomg, the music was so bad today! But in such a deliciously bad way...two of the members were trying to modernize the service with some of their own compositions and it was like listening to Yanni music with Ace of Base singing lead... Munch was kind of bemused by the whole thing while The Baby had to be removed at one point for taking off socks and shoes and making a mad dash for the front of the sanctuary. "THIIIIIIS WAAAAAY, MOMMMY!"

(added)

We had a guest pastor, who was the mommy of one of Munch's closest preschool friends, Caroline. The sermon was mainly about being a mom and trying not to let your pride keep you from asking for help. We are a community for a reason, and we moms...well, sometimes we feel that we have to be the great, grand crusaders of awesomesauce who never need help EVER. She related a story of her trying to get Caroline (who was about two) into the car when Caleb was a newborn, diaper bag swinging, babe in arms crying and caroline suction cupped to the pavement, "Nooooo, I don't want to GOOOOOO!" and someone asking her if she needed help. "Oh no, I've got it," she stammered, as she bent down to pick up caroline and the diaper bag swung around and biffed baby Caleb in the face.

"Actually," said the stranger, "I don't think you do..." and picked up Caroline and carried her, kicking and screaming to the car.

Sometimes we really need that person. It sucks, and society tells us to lash out at them; how dare she imply I'm weak!?!?

But how many times have I relied on all of you? How many times have I had to call Crickie, or Mom, or Kevin and say, "Come spend time with my kids because I'm about to scream my head off?
(/added)


I talked to my friend Marie, who just finally got a new job after years of the same horrible slog, and she is positively glowing, as is her partner. Seeing those people, who have worked so hard and are SO deserving of some good fortune actually *receive* it...well, its nice :)

We came home, had leftover pizza for lunch, then Munch took his video game time while The Baby and I napped.

After our naps, the boys wanted to go outside and blow bubbles, which I set them up to do. Munch and The Baby took turns with the bubble machine while the other used a 'sword' to attack the resulting bubbles, some of which were as big as my head.

I kept an eye on them while I dissected the chicken Blix had boiled, separating the white meat out for a chicken pie for dinner (which is cooking now) and the dark meat for another dish later this week, and extraneous scary bits to add to the stock. Its so therapeutic to make stock...chopping the onions, carrots, turnips and cellery and then simmering all that delicious goodness until your whole house smells like veggies and salt.

And now I'm talking to you people, which will be followed by more fort building and then pie eating, and then a trip to the store to buy milk so we can have 'rich chocolatey ovaltine' for dessert.

And it comes back to a pleasant thought; my life wouldn't be this good if Mere hadn't been a part of it. How many of us can say that? Plenty. Stars in her crown.

No comments: